Cross Country and Road Running
PLEASE NOTE, ALL RUNS AND SOCIAL EVENTS ARE SUBJECT TO CURRENT COVID REGULATIONS: please contact email@example.com for more information.
Blackheath and Bromley Harriers is a family-friendly running club, formed in 1869 and accredited by England Athletics, welcoming members of all ages and abilities. The club has over 800 members and encourages them to train together, race together, coach together and most Importantly socialise together.
If you are an experienced runner, don’t run on your own – come along and run with us! If you are new to town or a beginner, running with the club is a great way to meet new friends and improve.
The good news is that we don’t ask potential members to join straight away, but to come along to a club night for a few weeks to try us out. We have a wealth of experience to share to improve your running and dedicated Sports Physiotherapists on hand to help with injury or injury prevention.
Visit the club any Wednesday at 6.30pm for more information and we’ll find you a group to join and run with.
Wednesday Night Club Nights
For over 100 years Wednesday is the club night for road, cross country and distance runners.
Until the new facility at Norman Park is completed, our Wednesday evening club nights will take place at Beccehamian RFC, Corkscrew Hill, West Wickham, BR4 9BB. Runs commence at 6:30pm and full male and female changing room and shower facilities are available for use. The bar is also open for post run refreshment!
- Through the Winter Wednesday Night groups run at varying paces and distances taking in the well-trodden routes and well-lit local streets of Hayes, Bromley, Chislehurst, West Wickham, Crystal Palace and Beckenham.
- In the Spring and Summer months Wednesday Nighters can be found running off road following trails and bridleways across Hayes Common, Nash, Biggin Hill, Leaves Green, Keston and High Elms.
- Throughout the year, training groups are also led out for hill sessions, interval training and Fartlek sessions. These are popular and voluntary!
All this is included in your annual membership fee.
After the run hot meals are available and the well-stocked bar open and over the summer, weather permitting, a popular monthly BBQ night is held and outdoor bar set up.
Wednesdays Nighters Calendar
During the winter months, September to March, Blackheath and Bromley host a series of 9 club cross country races, generally Sunday Mornings over 5, 7.5 or 10 mile distances in all weathers.
- Cross Country Mob matches home and away are competed each winter against old rivals, Orion Harriers, Ranelagh, South London Harriers, Beckenham Running Club and Croydon Harriers.
- Teams are entered into a series of Kent League Cross country events on Saturday afternoons in various locations across Kent in all age groups.
- Teams are entered into the England Athletics Southern Cross-Country Championships each year in all age groups.
- Teams are entered into the England Athletics National Cross-Country Championships each year in all age groups with athletes and supporters celebrating with an overnight stay and dinner.
- Marathon training groups use Wednesday nights and weekend long runs to prepare for the London and other marathons together. The club has many runners in London each year and celebrates their achievements with a Post Marathon Dinner.
- The Christmas Run and Festive Christmas Supper are very well attended and raucous.
During the Summer Months (April to September) the club holds a once-a-month competitive handicapped 5k race series. There are 6 Wednesday night races (followed by the bar and BBQ)
- In May the club proudly organises and hosts the annual Bromley Ted Pepper 10k race.
- The Summer athletics calendar is full of opportunities to run in club championships on the track over 3k, 5k, 10k and the hour run on Wednesday nights.
- Open Athletics Meetings are hosted by Blackheath and Bromley on Monday nights at Norman Park, open to all abilities to run any distance and post a time.
- Teams are entered for British Athletics League and Southern Athletics Leagues events for serious track competition.
- We have a very active Veterans Section competing in track and field events in the Kent Masters League Fixtures across Kent throughout the summer.
Wednesday night dinner and bar available to all members. The club hosts:
- An immensely fun and popular Burns Night Supper each February.
- A Family Christmas Lunch is held in December.
- Beer tents regularly pop up at Fixtures at Norman Park.
- Summer BBQs once a month.
- A legendry boxing day fancy dress Paper chase and the eating of the President’s Christmas cake has been a fixture for many many years.